Call us Artist or call us Engineers, there seems to be many of us, like myself, that can direct our creativeness in a positive way. I see them more and more at craft shows and on the web. People are taking used and discarded items and giving them a new life, a new purpose. Upcycling provides uniqueness in a progressive way and can be more resourceful than recycling .

My mission with A Creative Shade of Green is to impose the idea that you really can create quality from something old or discarded by promoting those who have dedicated themselves to inventively reusing what they find or have.

I would like to present my ideas as well as others like myself that share a similar mission. Hence…

A Creative Shade of Green

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Upcycle Old Glass Candle Holders

Live Learn and Improve


I gave these upcycled candle holders to family for Christmas last year and included scented candles to match the glass. This particular one I gave to my mother. It fits her vintage country decor to a tee.

I've seen these chandelier glass candle holders in every second hand store I’ve ever been in. I especially love colored glass and so it wasn’t out of the ordinary that I spontaneously bought a plastic bag full (for 1$!!) and took it upon myself to find a new use for them.


Different sizes, shapes and colors assist in creating a truly unique project even when the general idea is the same. I ended up making 7 or 8 of these and each one had it's own character.


The log was gathered from a tree that had fallen in a storm. The wood otherwise would have gone for firewood. It was drizzling the day we cut and I admired the way the poplar bark looked glazed with rain so I applied a thin polyurethane coating to the wood for the same wet effect. 



A few things to consider for a DIY mission:
Make sure the bottom of the log is cut flat to avoid teetering
Apply felt or leather to 4 corners of the bottom to protect furniture from scratching
Not all candle holders have the same size base nub so measure them
Keep these rubber rings... they may come in handy if you drill a hole too big



No comments: